Hat lovers – It’s your time to shine! Get ready to turn heads in an “Oh wow she’s really pulling that off” rather than an “Oh lord, who told her that looked good” kind of way. Hats used to be the accessory you grabbed when you felt drab or were having a bad hair day. They are SO much more than this people… Hats aren’t intended to cover up the not so hot, they’re meant to shine, be the icing on the cake, you get my drift!
Hoping that you’ve come to understand my passion to reinvent the hat afterthought, I’m going to pack this post full of tips and tricks to wearing the season’s most fashionable accessories. There a quite a few hat options out there these days, but I wouldn’t go as far as saying they’re all interchangeable. Versatile, yes. Interchangeable, no. Some work better with specific looks, look better with different hairstyles, etc.
Beanies are a must-have for the colder months, but it can be super easy to slip into a more juvenile style with this headwear. We want to avoid looking like a child and go for more of a sophisticated fashion statement. Here’s how to accomplish a chic beanie look.
- Go with a neutral color – It’s more versatile this way.
- Keep it simple – Avoid beadwork or heavy embroidery.
- Opt for a looser fit – Tight beanies just look silly.
- Keep it natural – Wear it over your forehead and on a downward angle to the back of your head, covering your ears.
Baseball or athletic hats might be the only fashion accessory that men currently know more about than women. Sometimes we just want to toss one on as we run out the door like the guys, but we have to put more thought into it than that. Maybe these tips will make the decision a little easier.
- Avoid athletic logos or any large symbols – These can be kept for those bad hair days I mentioned, but don’t try to dress them up.
- Try leather – Yes, a leather ball cap.
- Throw one on with a dress – You’ll be surprised, trust me!
- Embrace the menswear trend – I’m not saying wear your man’s cap, just toss your more stylish counterpart on with a pair of loose boyfriend jeans and a casual (but cute) tee.
Fedoras have been a popular male accessory for a while now, but no stress – More and more women are adopting this cool and casual look.They represent class, style, and sophistication. The fashion possibilities are absolutely endless! Just be sure to follow these rules.
- Work with your proportions – You don’t want your hat to overpower your frame.
- Invest in the classics – Felt and straw, get them both! You’ll thank me later.
- Master the “messy but cute” doo – Fedoras are the perfect compliment to a casual relaxed look.
- Get creative – Dress it up or down with decorative bands and accents.
There’s a floppy hat suitable for literally everyone and every style. From different colors, textures, shapes and adornments, you’re sure to find one that compliments your fall or winter look. I personally love the fact that they’re extremely practical as well. There’s nothing like saving your face from the elements in style! Here are a few tricks to successfully wearing them.
- Get the right fit – There IS such a thing as too big.
- Add your own personality (maybe with a POP of color) – Floppy hats are allowed to steal the show!
- Work on your posture – I know it sounds silly, but stand up straight. It look more chic this way!
- Go all out – Pair your new hat with a jumpsuit or wide legged pants for a 100% retro look.
You’ve got your tools, now get to Tanger and pick up your favorite fall hat! Happy Shopping!